[WEB4LIB] RE: web cache and remote access

Brian Kelly lisbk at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed May 31 15:02:49 EDT 2000

Hi
   This is a well-known problem in the Library community.  Within the UK
Higher Education community we have a well-developed caching
infrastructure - developed to reduce the costs of network bandwidth
especially to the US.
  Caches are a *good thing*  in my opinion.  Rather than fight against
them I'd suggest you need to look into other types of authentication.
   We have a mailing list in the UK which disucsses such issues, from a
library / techie perspective.  The list archives are available at
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/authentication/
   There's not been much traffic, but some of the messages may be of
interest.
   Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly.html
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838