"Bibliographies Are Banished to the Web"

Linda Rudell-Betts rudellbetts at mediaone.net
Mon May 29 14:29:22 EDT 2000

from the NY Times on the Web Front Page Headlines service May 29, 2000
----------------------------------
Bibliographies Are Banished to the Web

Bibliographies have been severed from books and moved to Web
sites, in a growing number of instances involving both trade
publishers and prominent academic publishers.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/books/052900web-bibliographies.html
------------------------------------

As mentioned within the article, librarians are weighing in on the
issue.  Perhaps an acquisitions boycott of the bifurcated texts might
bring publishers' to their collective senses.

I am reminded of the library-land e-joke that circulated a couple of
years ago about the book being the most portable technology available.
The joke wouldn't hold up very long if I had to fire up the PC every
time I wanted to review a reference.

Having the bibliographies in _both_ print and electronic form, on the
other hand, could be very useful.

Linda Rudell-Betts
Information Science Consultant
Los Angeles CA