[WEB4LIB] Chat & E-mail Blocking

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu May 25 13:52:51 EDT 2000

GS> We have 25 computers in the library available for research in databases,
GS> Internet & the library catalog.  To keep these computers available for
GS> research, we don't allow word processing, e-mail or chat.  A computer lab in
GS> another building has 50 computers for those purposes.

GS> Currently we enforce our policy by signage & by speaking to anyone we see in
GS> a chat room or e-mail site, but, of course, there are always those students
GS> who keep two windows open & switch to another one when they see us coming.

I'm obviously behind on email and slowly catching up.  I'm replying to
the list this time because the information on chat, email, and game
blocking has moved to my new domain, and I've had several questions
about the new location.  Unfortunately, the purchaser of my old domain
wasn't willing to set up temporary links for me.

You can check it out at: http://www.riverofdata.com/tools/ and see
both the paper describing it, and the actual list of sites that are
blocked.  As always, I welcome updates, corrections, additions to the
list. Some six libraries have participated in developing the list.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA