Terminology problem

Even Flood even.flood at ub.ntnu.no
Thu May 25 08:56:31 EDT 2000

Folks,

I hope you can help a non-English member with this one.
Usually I get along OK, but now I need some help.

I have some problems with terminology and would really
appreciate some advice. I am going to give a seminar
on Internet use in English, and I need some advice on
what to call the different search tools.

1) We have directories - indexed or at least categorized
like Yahoo!, Bubl, WWW Virtual Library and my latest
favourite, Open Directory Project. All entries are
screened at some point by a human. I call these directories -
no problem.

2) Then there are  the robot generated indexes -
Google, NorthernLight, Fast etc. What is the
common word for all these?

3) Then there is my quest for a word that covers both
categories.

My main problem is - when to use "search engine"

Is this term used for number  two of the above, the robot generated
indexes solely, or for both one and two. In other words, does the
word "search engine" include both directories and robot indexes?
If only the robots, then what is a word for both categories?
And if "search engine" covers both, then what
word is used for the robot indexes only?

(Did any of this make sense?)

Even

Even Flood,  Senior Academic Librarian
RBT/Norwegian DIANE Center,
University Library of Trondheim,
N 7491 Trondheim, Norway.
Phone: +47 73 59 51 62, Fax +47 73 59 60 97
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/diane/
"Come, and take choice of all my library, and so  beguile thy sorrow."
				(Shakespeare)