[WEB4LIB] Internet Hardware

josh_davenport josh_davenport at bradv.com
Wed May 17 16:08:26 EDT 2000

>Students will often need two browser
>windows open to use an online database and switch windows to check to see
>if we have what they find in our catalog.
>We have a continuing problem determining what level of power is needed in
>these pcs.  Our computing department insists that 266mhz and 64MB RAM is
>more than sufficient for this level of use.  We always get the answer that
slowness is
>the result of the web, not our machines.

I'm of the opinion that more RAM is always a good thing.  NT is a resource
hog, and if you're running any other TSR programs in the background, you
will notice a definite degradation as you open more windows.
I think that your techs are correct about the web slowing down sometimes,
but more RAM makes your system able to hold more information at once.  I
know that in our corporate library we have 450's with 128MB of RAM and that
makes all the difference.  If I run Outlook and two of our paid databases I
can see a noticeable slowdown of the system.  I think that if your budget
has the means, then an upgrade to 128 MB of RAM would help you greatly.

Joshua L. Davenport
Library Assistant
Bernstein-Rein Advertising Agency
4600 Madison, Suite 1500