How to describe a site?

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri May 12 15:57:14 EDT 2000

>Why would you use anything for the title field other that the title set
by
>the author of the site?

What does one do with a page that has
	<head>
	<title>XXX</title>
	</head>
	<h1>WWW</h1>

What does one do with a web page that has an obviously erroneous value for
the title, e.g.,
	<title>Untitled Normal Page</title>
or
	<title>New Page 1</title>

What does one do with a web page that is in some other format than HTML?

As a theoretical matter, the issue of titles in catalogs of web pages
seems a bit murky.  But the practical question was not a catalog per se,
but rather a list of annotated links.  In such cases, it seems to me
completely reasonable that the author of the list of links should be able
to specify as the text of the link anything she thinks is appropriate for
her audience, not just the "title" of the page.  I think I have the right
to code
librarians</a>
in a resource list I write, and not necessarily use
Discussion (DL SunSITE)</a>

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/