MyLibrary Revisited

Debra Shapiro dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu
Thu May 11 10:59:23 EDT 2000

My organization -- UW-Madison SLIS Continuing Education -- hosted an
SLA satellite videoconference on information portals on April 27th.
http://www.sla.org/sla-learning/portals.html

The handouts I got for this event claim that there will be more
information about customizable portals at the above URL after May
19th; currently there is just the (outdated) announcement of the
event and how you, yes, you, can host it...

Anyhow, I would venture that everything the 3 speakers at the
videoconference spoke about was geared towards creating customizable
portals for the special library market: they were Susan Klopper from
Arthur Anderson, Howard McQueen of McQueen Consulting, and Steve
Arnold of Arnold IT.

I don't have a handy example of Susan Klopper's work, (or Steve
Arnold) but you can see McQueen consulting at:
http://www.mcq.com/
under services they have a section about their portal design work.
http://www.mcq.com/Services/servicesDetail.asp?service=portals

I would also venture that the customizable portal needs of public and
school libraries are very different, and I don't see why NCSU's
MyLibrary would not work just dandy for a school or a school
system....after all, school libraries have the same type of known
clientel that an academic library does.

regards,
Debra.

dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu