Revisiting mouse/Netscape problem

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Fri May 5 13:01:09 EDT 2000

We have an irksome problem with the mouse suddenly not
working in Netscape on our public computers.

I checked the archives and found that this list addressed
the problem back in November 1999.  Unfortunately, no one
had a solution beyond "migrate to IE" which on our campus is
not acceptable.  Besides the computer services saying they
will only "support" Netscape on campus-owned computers, when
we do install IE it screws up other settings.  Notably, we
use Ewan as our Telnet plugin for Netscape, and IE adds a /
to the address in Ewan, rendering it next to useless.

Question the first:  Has anyone found a Netscape based
solution to this mouse problem yet?  How come I've never
been able to find anything about this problem on the
Netscape site?  And has anyone tried Netscape 6.0 trial
version?

Question the second: what's a good Telnet plugin that allows
the user to print from the session in a straightforward way
(screen prints)?  Almost all the ones I have investigated
either have no print capabilities, or make you go through
contortions to print.  Ewan has been good to us for over two
years, but it is no longer supported.

Sidenote:  we are using Deep Freeze (mentioned earlier this
year on this list) on our public computers, and I love it.
The only thing approaching a glitch I have experienced was
having to reset all the clocks when the time change hit,
since the computer kept the date straight but Deep Freeze
eliminated the software time change correction.  And I don't
have to worry about destructive viruses, because you just
restart the computer and the virus and its damage are gone!
We also use Ghost, so we can reconstruct a clean terminal
anytime we want to.

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College