[WEB4LIB] Naming of Library [computer] appliances (OPAC or not)

Gregory Sennema GSENNEMA at calvin.edu
Thu Mar 30 08:22:31 EST 2000

Paul wrote:

"& when did the word OPAC enter the English (or American;-) language."

In our library, this was the point: "OPAC" never did enter the English
language, at least outside of library walls.  What you actually name
your system of course is up to you according to your objectives, but you
may want to consider, as we did, issues of image, and the fact that for
many patrons, OPAC does not sound as catchy as AltaVista, Hotbot, or
Google.

Greg Sennema
Digital Resources Librarian
Hekman Library
Calvin College and Calvin Theological Seminary
3207 Burton St SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
tel: (616) 957-8455
fax: (616) 957-6470

>>> "Sutherland, Paul" <Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz> 03/30/00 01:56AM

Greetings

We have a small group of colleagues who are trying to decide to change
the
name of our OPACs (for no logical reason)

We are a DRA library.

This coincides with our migration from a command line (VT terminal)
version
and a basic web interface to our databases (catalogue, Newspaper
Community database etc) to the newer Web2 interface from DRA. (which is
not
yet available to the outside world)

We are also introducing Thin Clients as the machinery for our Web
interface.

My colleagues seem to think that because the interface is new (and the
Thin
Client devices are different) we must rename the devices used to access
the
library databases - which of course are still the same old MARC
things!

My belief that the word OPAC which is what we named our OPAC's when we
launched them in July 1989 has become a meaningful term for our
customers
and is also a word beyond just being an acronym. (i.e. if it ain't
broke why
fix it)

What I am wanting from you is to know what do you call your OPACs (the
device that accesses your library databases)

& when did the word OPAC enter the English (or American;-) language.

Has anyone struggled with this issue in the past and what were your
outcomes.

Thanks for your help (in advance...)

/paul

 Paul Sutherland
mailto:Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz
 Information Technology Librarian
 Canterbury Public Library
 Aotearoa/New Zealand                 http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Library/

 My opinions only            Less is more, but not enough. Sol Le Wit