Web4Lib Policy Change

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 28 14:11:49 EST 2000

Today the Web4Lib Advisory Board added the following policy:

"6.  The preferred format for list messages is plain text.  Subscribers
whose mail clients default to other formats such as HTML should configure
them to send plain text when posting to the list.  Sending MIME file
attachments of any kind is discouraged because they cannot be read by
subscribers with plain text mail clients.

Attaching files that are capable of carrying viruses, Trojan horses, or
any other malicious code is prohibited.  This includes, but is not
limited to, executable files (such as DOS/Windows .exe and .com files) and
MS-Office files such as Word documents.

The total size of any message should not exceed 10k."

The statement regarding enforcement of list policy was also changed to
read "These policies will be enforced by the Web4Lib Advisory Board"
since we now need some flexibility in enforcing the Web4Lib policy. For
those of you who don't recall, the Web4Lib Advisory Board is:

Roy Tennant - rtennant at library.berkeley.edu, Chair
Thomas Dowling - tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Karen Schneider - kgs at bluehighways.com
Bernie Sloan - bernies at uillinois.edu

Meanwhile, I would like to remind list readers that Policy #1 is that all
messages must relate to the topic of web systems and libraries. A few
individuals have been rather sloppy about this lately. Thank you all for
your cooperation.
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner