Web4Lib and attachments

Wesner-Early, Caryn Caryn.Wesner at uspto.gov
Tue Mar 21 13:05:14 EST 2000

	List Members -

	"Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu> wrote:
	Speaking only for myself, I'm a little bothered by the growing
readiness
	of list subscribers to post file attachments to Web4Lib.  MIME
attachments
	have at least three problems on a public list like this:

Another problem applies to people on the Digest mode.  When a MIME or HTML
attachment is included, this is what we see:

> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEyBIDAAAAQAAAAABOz/WwIL8BQAAAAABupA44BL8B
> QAAAAAAsAbpej78BAwAAAAEAAAADAAAAPAIAAAMAAAC/DAAAAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> /v8AAAQKAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAALVzdWcLhsQk5cIACss+a4wAAAA
> vAAAAAcAAAABAAAAQAAAAA8AAABIAAAABQAAAGwAAAAGAAAAdAAAAAsAAAB8AAAA
> EAAAAIQAAAAMAAAAjAAAAAIAAADkBAAAHgAAABoAAABEZWxsIENvbXB1dGVyIENv
> cnBvcmF0aW9uAEMAAwAAABsAAAADAAAABgAAAAsAAAAAAAAACwAAAAAAAAAMEAAA
> AgAAAB4AAAAWAAAASW5mb3JtYXRpb24gQXJjaGl0ZWN0AAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>
> --=PMail:=_0005@@Fq0gM2C6fpBOOKkb2Rdx--

	There are pages and pages of this for each attachment.  I don't know
what percentage of people are on the Digest, but if there are very many,
people posting messages might want to take this into account.

Caryn S. Wesner-Early, MSLS
Reference Librarian
Main Scientific and Technical Information Center
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Phone: (703) 308-3507; Fax: (703) 308-1000
caryn.wesner at uspto.gov