[WEB4LIB] Web4Lib and attachments

Linda Woods Hyman lwhyman at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 20 17:38:05 EST 2000

At 01:53 PM 3/20/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Speaking only for myself, I'm a little bothered by the growing readiness
>of list subscribers to post file attachments to Web4Lib.  MIME attachments
>have at least three problems on a public list like this:
>
>  Not all members of the W4L community have MIME-aware
>  mail clients.  Sending them attachments, especially non-text
>  attachments only gives them gibberish.  (They'll also have to
>  wade through a lot of garbage just to read a post in HTML--
>  plaintext is the lingua franca).

I definitely agree. If somebody wants more info, deal directly with each other. I'm still trying to figure out how to stop all those little email business cards which get really annoying when you receive hundreds of emails a day. Don't even get me started on the chain letters, amusing mpegs, and the like!

Linda Woods Hyman, MLS., MA.
Pacific Bell Education First
(619) 237-2020
http://www.kn.pacbell.com