Self-checkout systems

Sagoree Chatterjee sagoree at altavista.com
Fri Mar 10 20:36:49 EST 2000

I am a student of Library Technology at the University
of Cincinnati. I am writing a technology plan for
a local public library and wanted to study the feasibility of installing a self check out system. I would therefore like to understand:
1) The advantages associated with this system relative to conventional manual systems
2) The cost of such a system and
3) The number of patrons required at a location to justify this cost
I would appreciate any information on the types of such systems that are commerically available. E-mail contacts with libraries that already use such a system as well as vendor website addresses would be also very useful .
Appreciate your help.
Sagoree Chatterjee