File Sizes on the Mac

Chiara Fox fox at rowland.org
Fri Mar 10 15:57:39 EST 2000

Hello Everyone-

I was going though the files on my Institute's Website to determine
which ones need to be optimized.  My goal is to get the files down to
Jakob Nielsen's 36k in total (meaning HTML plus images).

I was overwhelmed as I went through the Finder looking at the sizes
because most of the .html files are already 32k or bigger.  However,
if I look at the same file in Fetch, GoLive, or even via my server
logs, the size is only around 10k.

I seem to remember hearing that the Mac Finder "lies" about the true
file size.  Does anyone know if this is true?  Do you know what size
I should believe?  If the file is really only 10k, I don't have to
worry.  But if it's 32k I have a lot of work to do.

Thanks for your help!

-Chiara Fox
Technical Services Librarian
The Rowland Institute for Science