[WEB4LIB] copyright statement, change every year?

Peter Jorgensen peterj at rand.lcl.lib.ne.us
Thu Mar 9 14:11:26 EST 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, David Wuolu wrote:

> I think the answer to this question should be obvious, but I don't know
> what it is!
>
> You've seen:  (c) 1998, (c) 2000, (c) 1995-2000, etc.
>
> It seems that most web sites change their copyright statement annually
> -- but is this needed?  Is it recommended?  Why would you want to change
> it annually, leave it, put in date ranges, etc.?

Because copyright protection begins as soon as a work is created (17
U.S.C. 101 and 102), and web sites' content tends to change frequently,
it makes sense to have copyright notices that reflect the various dates of
creation of all elements of the site.

Peter Jorgensen
Reference Department, Lincoln City Libraries
Lincoln, Nebraska
peterj at rand.lcl.lib.ne.us