[WEB4LIB] RE: Hi, (2 monitor question)

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Mar 7 11:43:21 EST 2000

I'll chime in here, because I have actually set up a dual monitor PC, although
not for the purpose of website design. My setup is on Win98; I believe it is
possible on Win2000 also, but not NT. Pointers:

1. I was advised, and complied, to buy the second video card from the same
manufacturer as the first (which came with the PC).

2. You may have a choice of bus/card type, PCI or AGP. Your PC's BIOS may
allow you to configure which one is "primary". I had to switch to AGP as
primary in order to resolve some problems.

3. You can actually have up to 9 drivers/monitors. There are even video cards
available with multiple drivers on one card.

4. Some laptops can be configured so that the external monitor is a
"second" monitor, as opposed to a duplicate-image monitor. I used this
approach to experiment first, and decided I liked the concept.

5. Two 17" monitors gives you a great deal of screen space, much cheaper than
one large monitor, and more useful for side-by-side work.

6. You can arrange your multiple monitors into a virtual desktop, and drag
windows from one to another. Some programs are better than others at being
configurable to always come up on the same monitor.

7. You tend to lose your mouse pointer in all that screen space.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760