[WEB4LIB] Re: Do We Still Need Online Catalog Vendors?

Kevil, L H. KevilL at missouri.edu
Mon Mar 6 15:27:44 EST 2000

I would like to add my tuppence ha'penny to this discussion.

IMHO the problem does not lie exclusively with the ILS vendors, but at least
as much with the requirements libraries have demanded of ILS vendors. To my
knowledge the major ILS systems are automated card catalogues, not
databases. This is deliberate on the part of libraries, as the cataloguing
code appears to mandate a kind of interoperability or compatibility between
automated systems and card systems. Libraries appear to be exclusively
concerned with human users to the extent that machine users and processing
are poorly supported, if at all. The resulting ILS cannot be considered
databases, as they violate the usual rules defining relational and other
modern databases.  Among other things, they are full of redundant data,
which is mandated by the MARC standard, have no or unhelpful keys, and are
even designed so that human beings can go in and manipulate the indexes. (It
may be that many of these ILS use contemporary database technology, but it
is crippled because it can only mimic the working of an automated card
catalogue.)

Furthermore, the standards for ISBN and ISSN are deliberately designed to
identify a particular manifestation of a work, rather than the work itself.
Thus when the title of a periodical is deemed by library cataloguers to have
changed, the publisher is supposed to get a new ISSN. The same journal can
have multiple ISSN's. ISBN has similar problems. There is no standard
article number for ILL free of these problems. Thus there is no standard ID
for works, which makes sharing of bibliographic, holding, and other data
very difficult. This applies to z39.50 users as much as to human users of
card catalogues. Finding serials can still be very difficult for people and
impossible for machines. Put another way, there is a definite limit to how
far an ILS can go in sharing data and presenting it to the user and
consequently no or little penalty for proprietary, non-open systems. Our
legacy systems are in a secure position at the moment because we librarians
have made the task of automation much more complex than it needs to be.

If the library and information community does create reasonable ILS
standards designed to work with relational or object-relational database
technology _and_ decides to promote publically accessible databases of work
ID's, the option of the home-grown system will become much more feasible. In
these circumstances ILS vendors would surely consider offering plug-ins or
easily customizable modules, so that individual libraries could satisfy
special requirements.

I invite discussion of these hastily written-up points, particularly by
those of you who may disagree.

L. Hunter Kevil,
Collection Development Librarian,
176 Ellis Library,