E-journals database

Natalie Sturr sturr at Oswego.EDU
Wed Mar 15 10:54:08 EST 2000

Hi -

I know we're not the first to make available a database of e-journal
titles found in library full-text services, but here is a relatively
low-cost, low-effort solution - complete with "how to" information.

Our project can be found at:
  http://www.oswego.edu/library/ejournals/

For those interested in the technical side of this project, please see:
  http://www.oswego.edu/library/ejournals/how_to/

The 'how_to' web site not only provides an overview of the project, but
also makes available procedures and files for creating every part of the
application. I have included copies of all my procedures for obtaining and
editing the data. Also included are working FileMaker/html files and
working FileMaker databases.

The web-based e-journal database was created using FileMaker Pro 4.1 for
Windows.  Lists of e-journals are obtained from the various vendors. Each
list is imported into Excel where it is edited and formatted; the edited
data is then imported into FileMaker.  The alphabetical list is created by
exporting data from FileMaker and editing it in Excel.  Printed lists for
local use are best done via FileMaker.

I hope this is helpful to others who wish to create similar applications.

          -- Natalie

        Natalie Sturr                 sturr at oswego.edu
        Systems Librarian             http://www.oswego.edu/~sturr
        SUNY Oswego                   Voice:    (315) 341-3565
        Oswego, NY  13126             FAX:      (315) 341-3194