[WEB4LIB] Re: Do We Still Need Online Catalog Vendors?

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Sun Mar 5 04:23:34 EST 2000

At 22:56 04-03-00 -0800, Dan Lester wrote:

[snip]

>developing the systems in question.  Even the vendors that develop
>"small systems" (Follett, Winnebago, etc.) have tens of programmers
>continually at work on development and upgrades.  And the basic system
>any of them first came out with wasn't written by one person in his or
>her spare time on the job.

A fully functional library information system will never be one man's
hobby-project if you already have a day job. The one type of library which
*can* realistically develop their own libary system is the largish
university library that maintains good relationships with a local Computer
Science or Engineering lab. The challenges of building a good library
information system are easily complex enough to make a juicy project for a
group of graduate students. I've come across a few systems that started out
this way - including some that are now major players on the commercial
market, and some which are still local, but maintained and extended in a
wonderful synergy between the training and information management branches
of their institution.

Also - while the tasks of building efficient search paradigms and
circulation management systems are daunting, you don't have to start from
scratch. The increasing pick-up of international standards like Z39.50 and
ILL in various places mean that there exists both excellent starting points
for your design (through the standard specifications) and free software
components which can be glued together to form a system. General-purpose
tools like relational databases (also available in open source variants)
make the task of building stuff like circulation and acquisition modules
less daunting, technically.

But again - a good system of this kind is generally a team effort and
requires a lot of skill and background knowledge *as well as* a good
understanding of library operations. But hey - ten years ago, most people
would have shrugged their shoulders at the idea of a commercially viable
operating system like Linux growing out of hobby- and volunteer efforts.

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer        <quinn at indexdata.dk>            Index Data ApS
Ph.: +45 3536 3672    <http://www.indexdata.dk>    Fax: +45 3536 0449