FrontPage Links

Ron Cripe rcripe at dupagels.lib.il.us
Fri Mar 3 16:50:59 EST 2000

Basically, I don't think you can do this within FrontPage.

One of the purposes of using FrontPage is to update links when you rename
pages,  the links are automatically updated, I searched the menus and the
help file and saw no way to turn off this "feature."  You are trying to
circumvent the very thing the program is written to do.
The answer is to not let FrontPage know what you are doing.

Let's assume we start with these pages:

this_is_page_a.htm   -     Title: Page A
this_is_page_b.htm   -     Title: Page B
page_a_and_b_links_to_this_page.htm   -     Title: Page C

temp_page.htm   -     Title: Page D

The scenario is:
We want to replace "Page B" with "Page D" but not lose "Page B".
"Page D" should still link to "Page C"
When "Page D" time is up, put things back the way they were at the start.

With the web site closed.  I.E. not open in FrontPage, log in to your server
and get to a shell prompt.

Unix:
Use cd to make the directory where these pages reside, your current
directory.
mv temp_page.htm very_temp.htm
mv this_is_page_b.htm temp_page.htm
mv very_temp.htm this_is_page_b.htm

"Page B" and "Page D" have now switched places.
Carry out the exact same set of commands to swap the pages again.  You could
make a Unix script do this for you.

WinNT:
Use cd to make the directory where these pages reside, your current
directory.
ren temp_page.htm very_temp.htm
ren this_is_page_b.htm temp_page.htm
ren very_temp.htm this_is_page_b.htm

"Page B" and "Page D" have now switched places.
Carry out the exact same set of commands to swap the pages again.  You could
make a DOS batch file do this for you.

Ron Cripe              rcripe at dupagels.lib.il.us
Systems Manager
DuPage Library System  http://www.dupagels.lib.il.us