[WEB4LIB] Re: Computer labs...controlling programs that can be run

Luis Domingues lfd at libri.ucp.pt
Fri Mar 3 09:34:38 EST 2000

We have developed PACfilter, which is freely available at
http://www.libri.ucp.pt/systems/general/pacfilter/default.htm and we have NT
machines with policies and Norton Ghost so that we can
1) Refuse access to some windows (like "save as"), using pacfilter
2) Refuse access to some sites (x-rated, for example), using pacfilter
3) Restrict access to the task manager, using policies
4) Rebuild a workstation with a CD image made with Norton Ghost in 2 minutes
(and more five minutes to change the IP address, machine name and domains,
because we only have one image for all PC's)

Regards,

Luis Filipe F. F. Domingues                   E-Mail: lfd at libri.ucp.pt
Biblioteca Universitária João Paulo II        Home Page:
http://www.libri.ucp.pt/
Universidade Católica Portuguesa              Tel: +351 21 7214019
Palma de Cima                                 Fax: +351 21 7214010
1600 Lisboa
Portugal