[WEB4LIB] Computer labs...controlling programs that can be run

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Mar 2 17:47:42 EST 2000

I've been using the Windows profiles, policy editor, and tweakui since
at least December 97.  I would expect that policy editor has improved
with Win2k, I don't know.  I allow the floppy drive to be accessible and
set the hard drive not to be available.  Although occasionally someone
has put files on the hard drive, I haven't had any real damage done.
The policy editor allows me to deny access to critical programs like
those in Control Panel and the registry.  I use all Windows 95 clients
which log into my NT server to set the policies.  This denies any access
at all for invalid logins.  The policy tells the client to pick up the
profile I set up from a campus Novell server I have space on.  The
policy defines the desktop, start menu, user.dat and a few other options
I forget since 12/97.

Thomas

"Charles P. Hobbs" wrote:

> We're thinking of setting up a computer lab in the library. Web browsers,
> Office 2000 programs, and various pieces of educational software are ok,
> but people bringing in video games and running them would not be. What
> sort of software would be good in preventing "outside" software from
> running (we plan to leave all the disk drives accessable, locking them, as
> we do now, is not an option).
>
> Thanks!

> Charles P. Hobbs                          __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
> transit at primenet.com                     /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /
>                                         /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine