[WEB4LIB] Looking for multimedia help

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Jun 27 13:33:23 EDT 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Hanan Cohen wrote:

> Our library is getting some money for having a "multimadia corner". We
> want to have a central CD/DVD player operated by the librarian. The
> viewer/listener will sit by a computer and listen/view the CD/DVD and
> also will be able to control the playing.
>
> Do you know if this configuration is possible? Do you know what
> equipment should we purchase?
> Do you know of other web/list resources on multimedia in the library?

I have my doubts on this, at least if you are referring to audio and video
content on the CD/DVD, not just digital data stored on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.

When you listen to an audio CD on a PC, the audio is typically routed from the
CD player directly to the sound board. That is, it does not go through the
processor or the bus. Likewise, it is not eligible for network redirection. It
would, I think, be technically possible to read the digital audio data at a
server and stream it to the client, but I don't think this is available with
the drivers ordinarily included with CD drives.

For video, the bandwidth demands are much greater, to the point of having a
significant effect on your network performance.

Now if you had video coax cable running to the viewing stations, you could use
equipment such as hotel pay-per-view systems use. Then, of course, you'd need
a television, not a computer, as a viewing station.

--
Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com