[WEB4LIB] more bad press for librarians

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jun 21 15:02:14 EDT 2000

http://www.business2.com/content/magazine/breakthrough/2000/06/13/12349

> "Billington should probably be asked to resign, based on his contempt
for
> U.S. citizens who don't happen to live within walking distance of his
> library".

Shirky willfully attributes points to Billington that were obviously
raised rhetorically in the speech.  The effect is of Yet Another
Technology Wonk with an axe to grind.  I tune out whenever I hear
something as fatuous as, "The Internet is the most important thing for
humanity since the printing press."

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu