Usability of Search this Site

James Ghaphery jsghaphe at vcu.edu
Tue Jun 20 08:49:53 EDT 2000

Hi all,

Having done a typical amount of minimal research in the archives, I have
found several requests about how to install a local search function on a
library Web site, but little chatter about the usability of such a function.

Jakob Nielsen sees a search this site function as a must for any site with
over 100 pages: http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/alertbox/991003.html

At that the same time, it seems that library web sites are a bit unique in
that much of our business is searching, and getting people to the right
search utility. A colleague suggested the metaphor of a .com site that has
a catalog of items for sale as well as a search this site function (of
course we have hundreds of "catalogs").

Interestingly Amazon.com, the 800 pound gorilla, does not offer a search
this site function, just searches of its 12 or so catalogs. Perhaps they
want to make sure you search for Michael Crichton in the books catalog.

In browsing through the 115 ARL libraries home pages, 10 offered a search
this site function on the top level page (6 of which were toward the bottom
of the page), two had a search box on the top level for the library
catalog, one had an Internet search box, and one had a standard
University-wide search.

Well, I guess you get the drift, any comments? best practices about
placement or context for a search this site function? custom error messages
when zero hits are found? anyone running log files, if so what do the
searches look like, have they changed the way you present your local search?

hope this is of interest,

Jimmy

Jimmy Ghaphery
VCU Libraries