Computer Reference Books

Steve Garwood sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us
Wed Jun 14 13:34:24 EDT 2000

Hello All,

I work in a rather large public library in New Jersey that will soon be
acting as the Statewide referral center for reference questions.

At the library I do collection development for Computers/Internet. I have
items like the Computer Almanac, Krol's The Whole Internet, Web Site
Sourcebook, Microsoft Certification Careers, and the Internet Public Library
Handbook. We also have a fairly strong periodicals collection in this area.

I'm just curious as what you all might consider to be the "Books you
couldn't live without". These would be materials that you might use at a
public library that couldn't be removed from the building. My thoughts lead
to things like an HTML 4.0 sourcebook, Job Hunting guides, etc. Basically
I'm fishing for ideas to round out the Reference Collection in the
Computer/Internet area.

As an additional question - what do you think is the best source for
computer statistics - i.e. how many homes have PCs, how many connected to
the Internet, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

-------------------------------------
Steve Garwood
Customer Education Librarian
Camden County Library System
203 Laurel Rd., Voorhees, NJ 08043
(856)772-1636 x3320 Fax:(856)772-6128
sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us
http://www.camden.lib.nj.us
http://www.stevegarwood.com

"...L-I-V-E, else ya got nothing to talk about in the locker room"  - Harold
and Maude (movie)