Free Live Online Web-based Workshop: "Evaluating Internet Information " Three additional sections added..

Diane K. Kovacs diane at kovacs.com
Wed Jun 7 19:41:05 EDT 2000

Evaluating Internet Information - Free Instructor-Led Web-based Workshop

I am amazed at the response I've gotten for this workshop!   The
Evaluating Internet Information June 28 Noon-2 section is full.   So
I have opened three other sections   June 28 3-5 EDT and Evaluating
Internet  June 29 Noon-2 and June 29 3-5 EDT.    You may also take
this workshop through e-mail and Web only without the online meeting.

Again my apologies for this happening so quickly.   I've offered the
workshop for free before and did not have this kind of response!
Cordially,
Diane
Agenda

Introductions and Overview.
Overview: The Nature of the Database; How do you evaluate Authority,
Reliability and Timeliness, Security and Privacy;
Resources for further study.
Web-based Activities (done outside of the online meeting)
Activity 1  Evaluating World Wide Web Sites (Practical Experience)
Activity 2. Evaluating Subject Directories and Electronic Library Collections
Activity 3. Evaluating World Wide Web Rating Services Questions and
Conclusions.

More information at http://www.kovacs.com/training.html

Overview

In this hands-on workshop participants will learn strategies for
evaluating information found on the  Internet that mirror the
strategies used to evaluate information from other sources.

Evaluation strategies will include locating and evaluating tools
which review and evaluate Internet information as well as strategies
for individually evaluating Internet information resources.

Audience

This workshop is intended for people who want to learn about using
the Internet to find high quality, authoritative information.

Participants should know how to use e-mail.  The Instructors will
assist participants to use Netscape or Internet Explorer to
participate in the real-time class and to interact with the Web-based
materials.

Schedule

June 28, 2000 Noon-2 EDT

Schedule Arrangements for other small groups (minimum of 5 people)
may be made on an individual basis
by contacting the instructor.

Registration and Tuition
Free but please register to reserve a space and to provide
information to receive logins and passwords.
Class size is limited to 15 people.  Arrangements for additional
online live sessions will be made if there are additional
registrations.

http://www.kovacs.com/register.html

Materials
All materials will be online on interactive Web pages.

Mechanisms for Instruction
Participants will interact through e-mail
with the instructors before and after the workshops.

Participants will meet live online for overview and discussion.

Participants will complete hands-on Web-based activities at
their own pace after  scheduled online live meeting with the guidance
and in consultation with the instructor.

Instructors will provide free training on using the Diversity
University MOO facility for real-time
communication Participants will connect to http://www.du.org:8888 for
real-time instruction.   Logins and passwords will be provided on
request after registration.

Instructor Diane K. Kovacs, Kovacs Consulting diane at kovacs.com