[WEB4LIB] Re: NYT magazine piece on e-books

Fazia Begum Rizvi fazia at swt.edu
Wed Jun 7 11:14:56 EDT 2000

>If e-books are indeed the wave of the future, why is that printers
>and printing costs are such an issue in libraries?  The clients in
>the public libraries where I work print out Pokemon characters,
>superheroes, and answers to research queries.
>
>Until the time when computers are as small and inexpensive as calculators, and
>there's an easy connection between library computers and the
>hand-held machines, people are still going to want hard copies.

One of these handheld devices was displayed at a technology
conference I attended in March, and there was a panel discussion
about the future of electronic publishing.

The consensus among the audience - myself included - is that we'd
REALLY like to use such a device for downloading and keeping
technical and reference books, certain how-to-books and the kinds of
books related to our technical careers that seem to take up and awful
lot of room on our shelves. *Especially* if the price for such books
went down because of the new electronic publishing process.

However, while we *might* download the latest Stephen King novel on
such a device, we most definitely still wanted print copies of our
favorite books, novels, etc. Many of us have several shelves full of
books at home, and while we'd love to get the two inch thick "Perl in
14 days" off our shelves, it's only to make more room for a
leatherbound Charles Dicken's Novel, or a few more paperback science
fiction novels. There was a wish to own something physical, tangible,
and a view of the book as a piece of art too that I don't think will
die.

There was some interest in the idea that authors might create their
own download sites, and write a book or series in pieces, selling
bits as they went, allowing readers to purchase a print copy when it
was complete if they chose. This was an exciting idea to many of the
writers.

Wave of the future? Well yeah, sorta, if the idea is that it may
change *some* things about publishing or the way we aquire or own
books. But if the claims are  that it will replace print books - that
idea didn't fly, even with a gadget oriented and technically adept
audience at a new media conference. We still like our books, and I
think they will last as personal treasures at *least*. And until
access is ubiquitous, they will most certainly still be practical for
a very long time.

-Faz

Fazia Begum Rizvi
University Webmaster