[WEB4LIB] Re: NYT magazine piece on e-books

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Tue Jun 6 09:13:44 EDT 2000

Roy,

I didn't say WHY the article was interesting......   :-)

You mentioned how TV didn't kill off radio.....another good example is how
neither TV, nor the VCR, killed off the film industry. The introduction of
moveable type, however, did kinda put a damper on the manuscript business!
:-)

I think the current hype about e-books is reminiscent of the hype about the
paperless office some 20-25 years ago. The computer didn't replace
paper....in fact, I believe that paper production is higher now than it was
back then. Some stuff works better on paper, some stuff works better on the
computer. I think the "real world" will continue to be a mix of resources in
various formats, with e-books being good at some things, and paper books
being good at other things.

Bernie