[WEB4LIB] Installation of programs in restricted profile of NT

Luis Domingues lfd at libri.ucp.pt
Mon Jun 5 03:58:25 EDT 2000

That problem looks like NT file system security. When software is installed
using the administrator account, some files may inherit the security
privileges of the current logged user.
To change that you must grant the everyone group read rights (or sometimes
even write) to these files.

We found that the best way to deal with that (loosing a bit of security) is
not using NTFS in public workstations, but instead FAT which doesn't have
user-based security.

Also, some settings may be written to the CURRENT_USER registry key, which
makes them available only to the user account for which the software has
been installed. If you inspect the registry you can export the settings for
that specific software and then import for the public user (for instance in
the logon script).

Regards

Luis Filipe F. F. Domingues                   E-Mail: lfd at libri.ucp.pt
Biblioteca Universitária João Paulo II        Home Page:
http://www.libri.ucp.pt/
Universidade Católica Portuguesa              Tel: +351 21 7214019
Palma de Cima                                 Fax: +351 21 7214010
1600 Lisboa
Portugal