[WEB4LIB] OPACS and terminals

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Thu Jun 1 11:33:38 EDT 2000

Andrew Mutch wrote:

> I have been thinking about converting our OPACs from PCs to terminals -
> I don't see the sense in providing PC level support for a single-use
> machine.  However, this migration has been delayed by concerns about
> technology and cost.  One of the most common concerns is the "single
> point of failure" that would leave all of the OPACs disabled if the
> terminal server ever went down.  While I understand the concern, I don't
> think it is a good enough argument for waiting to move forward.
>
> Recently, I came across a "solution" that addresses that concern and
> might be a useful first step.  Compaq is offering a new thin-client
> device that integrates terminal emulation and Netscape into the terminal
> device.  See:
>
> http://www.compaq.com/products/thinclients/T1500/
>
> This would allow the terminal device to operate independently as a
> "thin-client" with the ability to be converted to a true terminal once I
> successfully make the argument for moving to a terminal server.  Even if
> a terminal server is never implemented, this seems a very good
> relatively low-cost solution that would eliminate many of the headaches
> of a standard PC OPAC.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1)  Is anyone using these hybird "thin-clients" as in either a
> stand-alone or terminal arrangement?
>
> 2)  What drawbacks would you see from going this route versus using PCs
> or true terminals?
>
> Please respond to me personally - I can summarize to the list if I get
> enough responses.

Do you mean terminal server as in Windows Terminal Services (NT4.0 or
Win2K), or terminal server as in a device that connects a bunch of dumb
terminals to a host?  Thin clients are used with Terminal Services, and
higher end ones can also be terminals.  'True' terminals do not connect
to Terminal Services.

The T1500 is one of a new generation of thin clients that embeds some
local processing capability.  WRT its use in a library, you have to ask
"will it handle what people need to do?".  How do you provide support
for common web tasks, such as opening a PDF file, AVI, etc.?

COMPAQ's thin clients are based on Wyse products.  The T1500's
implementation, I believe, is aimed at intranets with JAVA.  You might
want to look at http://www.wyse.com/winterm/ to compare.

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
Internet/Remote Access - CD Networking - Thin Client Computing
Citrix Solutions Partner/Citrix Education Solutions Provider