[WEB4LIB] re: Searching for AIDS: Google strikes again [Hardin MD

steven.cramer at duke.edu steven.cramer at duke.edu
Wed Jul 26 10:52:20 EDT 2000

The new "meaning-based" search engines like Simpli and Oingo are designed for
such ambiguous searching. Try comparing a search for "aids" in these engines to
Mr. Rumsey's findings.

http://simpli.com/
http://www.oingo.com/

Steve Cramer
Reference Librarian
Perkins Library, Duke University
Durham, NC USA
steven.cramer at duke.edu

"Gimon, Charles A" <CAGimon at mpls.lib.mn.us> on 07/26/2000 10:22:53 AM

Please respond to CAGimon at mpls.lib.mn.us

 To:      Multiple recipients of list
          <web4lib at webjunction.org>

 cc:      (bcc: Steve M
          Cramer/Libraries/Provost/Academic/Univ/Duke)

 Subject: [WEB4LIB] FW: Searching for AIDS: Google strikes
          again [Hardin MD

Nice article...but on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd always want a search
engine to be making assumptions about what I want. I hope raw text searching

remains an option alongside what you describe here.

(As an aside, in my life away from work, I host a website on Indonesian
history. I would be perturbed if search engines suddenly decided that
searches that mention "Java" were automatically about the programming
language.)

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library