Web Editors

Fritzi Batchelor Fritzi.Batchelor at uconn.edu
Wed Jul 12 22:38:48 EDT 2000

Apologies if you have discussed this to death.  If so, please respond to me
directly.

*  On our public internet sites (Unix)
We have been moving our web contents to primarily database/Cold Fusion
underpinnings.  Nonetheless, we still have library staff who need to create
individual web pages.  We also use automatic style sheets that overlay
individual pages.

Our staff would like us to recommend and support one of the popular web
editors, rather than teaching them HTML basics.  Our experience to date is
that many of the popular web editors clobber the page style guides and/or
create tags that end up as dead links (at last count, over 4,000 dead links
due to incorrect tagging).

We want to facilitate and enable our staff to do efficient web publishing.
Have y'all discovered products that bear investigating and/or cause the
fewest problems with the rest of your web infrastructure?

*  On our staff intranet site (NT)
We have begun using Inso's Outside In software that does conversion on the
fly from the MS Office suite to HTML, but is not suitable for our Unix web
sites.  This product allows our staff to create MS anything documents
without learning HTML and their publications are auto indexed.

So.... How are you empowering your staff users for web publishing both on
the public internet sites and other intranet sites?

Thanks in advance

Fritzi Batchelor
Head, Information Technology Services
University of Connecticut Libraries
369 Fairfield Rd, U-5SY
Storrs, CT.  06269-1005
Phone:  (860) 486-5397   Fax:  (860) 486-3593
Email:  fritzi.batchelor at uconn.edu <mailto:fritzi.batchelor at uconn.edu>
Web:  http://www.lib.uconn.edu/~fbatchelor
<http://www.lib.uconn.edu/~fbatchelor>