[WEB4LIB] FirstSearch Custom Topic Areas

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Tue Jul 11 14:57:24 EDT 2000

Here is information on the Firstsearch-L discussion list:

<Quote begins>
To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send mail to FIRSTSEARCH-L at OCLC.ORG. This is called "sending mail to
the list", because  you send mail to a single  address and LISTSERV makes
copies   for  all   the  people   who  have   subscribed.  This   address
(FIRSTSEARCH-L at OCLC.ORG)  is also  called  the "list  address". You  must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed
to all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV address", LISTSERV at OCLC.ORG. It is very important to understand
the difference  between the two,  but fortunately it is  not complicated.
The LISTSERV address is like a FAX number that connects you to a machine,
whereas the list address is like a  normal voice line connecting you to a
person. If you make a mistake and  dial the FAX number when you wanted to
talk to someone on the phone, you  will quickly realize that you used the
wrong number and call again. No harm will have been done. If on the other
hand you accidentally make your FAX call someone's voice line, the person
receiving the  call will be  inconvenienced, especially if your  FAX then
re-dials  every 5  minutes. The  fact  that most  people will  eventually
connect the FAX machine to the voice  line to allow the FAX to go through
and make the  calls stop does not  mean that you should  continue to send
FAXes to  the voice number.  People would just get  mad at you.  It works
pretty much the same way with mailing lists, with the difference that you
are  calling hundreds  or  thousands  of people  at  the  same time,  and
consequently  you  can  expect a  lot  of  people  to  get upset  if  you
consistently send commands to the list address.

You may leave  the list at any time by  sending a "SIGNOFF FIRSTSEARCH-L"
command to LISTSERV at OCLC.ORG. You can also  tell LISTSERV how you want it
to confirm the  receipt of messages you  send to the list. If  you do not
trust the system,  send a "SET FIRSTSEARCH-L REPRO"  command and LISTSERV
will send you a  copy of your own messages, so that you  can see that the
message was distributed and did not get damaged on the way. After a while
you  may find  that this  is getting  annoying, especially  if your  mail
program does not  tell you that the  message is from you  when it informs
you that  new mail  has arrived  from FIRSTSEARCH-L. If  you send  a "SET
FIRSTSEARCH-L  ACK  NOREPRO" command,  LISTSERV  will  mail you  a  short
acknowledgement  instead,  which  will  look different  in  your  mailbox
directory. With most mail programs you will know immediately that this is
an  acknowledgement  you  can  read  later. Finally,  you  can  turn  off
acknowledgements completely with "SET FIRSTSEARCH-L NOACK NOREPRO".

Please note that  it is presently possible for anybody  to determine that
you are signed  up to the list  through the use of  the "REVIEW" command,
which returns the e-mail address and  name of all the subscribers. If you
do not  want your  name to  be visible, just  issue a  "SET FIRSTSEARCH-L
CONCEAL" command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to LISTSERV at OCLC.ORG.
<Quote Ends>

--
---Julia E. Schult