[WEB4LIB] Re: Napster - Audio Books

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Tue Jul 4 01:06:02 EDT 2000

I find the Napster phenomenon fascinating, but, I'm afraid, for very
different reasons than most of the press corps. For one, I find it
gratifying to discover what I've suspected all along is actually true
-- that is, there *is* room for another protocol if one has a
compelling service. That is, people *are* willing to download a
special client that only speaks "napsterese" (or whatever), and use
it for a specific task.

This proves my point for developing a dedicated digital library
client. Why not? Instead of being set up to search for sound files
alone, this one will sign on to special directory servers (national
libraries, are you listening?) to be able to transparently search
digital libraries for content (books, journal articles, movies, sound
files, you name it) using a much, much richer set of metadata than
whatever dreck Joe Schmoe decides to note about the sound file he
just ripped off.

Oh, and another thing. Instead of logging on and getting lord knows
what because the individuals who make up the napster "network" may or
may not be logged on at the moment (some still using 14.4 modems!!),
you could actually count on stuff still being there the next morning.
[a digression...has anyone yet determined what the napster witching
hour is? that is, does one see predictable dips and surges in
available content as the planet turns?]

Daniel Chudnov's "docster" document is a good start on the
professional discussion that I'd like to see, not about the copyright
issue (*of course* libraries can't violate copyright), but about the
potential of this type of technology. That is, how can we use it for
the best benefit of our collective clientele? That's clearly the
question we should be asking.

You know, I think I've just stumbled on the topic for my next Digital
Libraries column for Library Journal. If you have thoughts on this,
drop me or the list a line. I'd like to hear from you. Thanks,
Roy