TIFF to PDF -- is there an easier way?

Kenneth Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:04:48 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

I've been experimenting with ImageMagick and Prospero to convert TIFF files
to PDF for our online reserves system, but both are churning out these
enormous files: a 416 K multipage tiff will convert to anywhere from a 9 to
28 MB PDF file. I was expecting the files to be fairly small, that being
part of the point! There no call for a several MB pdf is there?

In both cases, I'm using the NT version of the most recent releases (I
could experiment with the unixy versions, but from an eventual staffing
perspective a windows solution would be preferable.)

A look through the archive doesn't show much direct discussion of Tiff >
PDF conversion, but lots of folks seem to mention if they knew more about it.

Help!
Thanks,
Ken

Ken Irwin	                            		kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian	(937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University