affiliate programs and library web sites

Bryan H. Davidson bdavidso at comp.uark.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:53:38 EDT 2000

I don't know how this will fly, but here it goes:

Currently on our library home page (http://dante.uark.edu) we provide a list
of several search engines, as well as a search box that allows users to
perform a google search directly. I always thought of this as no more than
an extra convenience, and since google seems to be one of the search engines
of choice among librarians here, all the better.

What we have considered proposing to our director is that we sign up for
google's affiliate program, which pays .03 cents per search performed from
our site. The search box is similar to what I've already got in place, with
the added addition of a small google logo.

Since we provide free printing, we have discussed this a possible means of
recouping some of our printing/paper cost.

I would like to know what the group thinks about this. Is this a viable
alternative source of revenue, or a major code of ethics violation? Have
other libraries done something similar?

Thanks