[WEB4LIB] How to learn programming

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 6 09:52:01 EDT 2000

As Darryl Johnson said, use the medium that works best for you.

It sounds like the problem you're having may be from reading books that
present a lot of information but few exercises.  For a beginning programmer,
exercises can be crucial because they give you simple programming tasks but
you learn the material in a different way when you actually use it as
opposed to just reading about it.  If your going to use books, look for
something with a lot of exercises.  Unfortunately, all the Perl books I know
don't include exercises so I can't recommend specific ones.  Harvey and Paul
Deitel write a series of basic "How to Program" books that are highly
regarded.  You might look at their book "Internet and World Wide Web: How to
Program" which also comes in a multimedia kit "Complete Internet and World
Wide Web Programming Training Course".

For a good book for the beginning programmer that explains a lot of the
basic general concepts behind programming and gives more advice on how to
learn, I'd recommend "Complete Idiot's Guide to a Career in Computer
Programming" by Jesse Liberty.

For the "right stuff" also check out Eric Raymond's "How to Become a Hacker
FAQ" http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html for a less
commercially oriented view than Liberty's of how and what to learn.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo