<alt> tags

Elizabeth Badeaux 225.231-3720 ebadeaux at CLSN3244.ebr.lib.la.us
Mon Jan 31 15:37:39 EST 2000

Good afternoon all,

I have recently begun adding alt tags to the images on our web site.
However, I am not sure I am going about naming the images in the correct
way.  It seems to me there are several possible ways to do this: one could
describe the image itself, describe what it does, or describe what it
"goes with."

For instance, I have images next to many of the categories of links on our
"Recommended Sites" page.  One is a bookworm surrounded by books which is
next to our "Literature" links.  The image itself is not a link, but I
have added "Literature" as the alt tag.  Should the alt tag read
"Bookworm"?  Another example is on our main page.  In the left hand frame,
I have a link to "Taxpayer Assistance Programs" with a small image of the
word new in gold letters on a red sunburst.  My alt tag is simply "New."
Should it be  "Taxpayer Assistance Programs" (the image itself is not part
of the link)?

I'm really confused by this! I'd appreciate any examples or advice anyone
is able to give.

Our web site is http://www.ebr.lib.la.us/ and the "Recommended Sites" page
is http://www.ebr.lib.la.us/html/resource.htm.

Thanks for any and all help,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Badeaux			Voice:	225-231-3720
Librarian, Computer Division		Fax:	225-231-3788
East Baton Rouge Parish Library		E-mail:	ebadeaux at ebr.lib.la.us
7711 Goodwood Blvd.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806