[WEB4LIB] Changing font in options

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jan 31 12:57:08 EST 2000

> I need some help with a pull down menu on our homepage.
>
> <http://www.alvernia.edu/>
>
> I am using some javascript and the tags: form name, select name, and
option
> values.  The code is listed below.

Is this the script that tells me "Java script is running! Perhaps your
browers [sic] is not set up to read it"?  Or the one that won't let me
submit your form?

> My problem is with alignment.  My pulldown menu lines up exactly with my
> navbar border on netscape, but not on Explorer.  I have tried using font
> size commands to alter the size of the text, but they don't seem to work
> inside of the option tag.

Bad news: any alignment you're seeing is a coincidence--hit Ctrl-] or
Ctrl-[ a couple of times--and can easily be wrecked by the user's font
size and other settings.  Your energies will be better spent in designing
a page that doesn't rely on such alignment.

> Is there any way of changing the size of the text shown in the option
value
> tags?  This would put the pulldown menu inside of the navbar.

IE 4+ and Mozilla 5 reliably honor CSS properties for <OPTION>.  To have
the best chance of this working, though, you should run your page through
a validator (try <URL:http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>) and
tighten up your markup.  A trip through Bobby
(<URL:http://www.cast.org/bobby/> would help too.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu