[WEB4LIB] open source and librarianship

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 28 12:27:17 EST 2000

At 02:02 PM 1/27/2000 , Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

 >There were a number of things described in both texts that reminded me
 >of librarianship.  First and foremost with the idea of sharing
 >information.

     Keen observation. We can also look at this parallel from another angle....

      The goal for most libraries to provide a high level of service as
economically possible.   Many library consortiums were established because
economic / budgetary pressures forced libraries to look for ways to obtain
group discounts.  Now, libraries with similar needs almost instinctively
seek often each other out and pool resources to achieve common goals.

     The goal of most open source projects is to provide high quality
software as economically as possible.  Most open source projects continue
to exist because they have created an informal (or formal) group of
co-developers who also have a common goal: the need for a specific piece of
software.  Open source developers (and users) seek each other out to pool
resources to achieve common goals.

      It seems almost a natural that libraries embrace open source and
establish open source consortiums in order to create and provide quality
information / technology services as economically as possible.

-Eric

Eric Schnell
Assistant Professor
Head, Automation Services