Automating menu events in IE5 (or, writing a macro)

Mark Jordan mjordan at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 27 20:23:02 EST 2000

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to automate a sequence of menu events in IE5
(for example, Alt-v-c to reveal HTML source) and activate the sequence of
events from a button on the favorites toolbar? This should be similar to a
keyboard macro in other applications, but launched from a 'shortcut'
rather than the keyboard. IE5 does have some options under the View menu
that allow you to add menu items to toolbar buttons, but the list of
available ones there isn't that long.

We're planning on upgrading the browsers on our public stations and would
like to automate viewing the HTML source so that IE5 will integrate into
our existing printing procedures. We're not set on IE5 though, so if
someone knows how to do this in recent versions of Netscape Navigator, I'd
be interested.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have,

Mark

Mark Jordan
Librarian / Analyst, Systems Division
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Email mjordan at sfu.ca / Phone (604) 291 5753 / Fax (604) 291 3023