[WEB4LIB] Moldy old servers

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:06:15 EST 2000

Thomas' report on the sad state of Web server software in the library
world can, I think, be mostly chalked up to:

* lackadaisical tech support
* insufficient motivation, ability, or willingness to hold the above
accountable

Whenever I give Web workshops in which I suggest that attendees should ask
for something from their system administrator I get a range of responses
from blank looks to sighs of frustration. Almost no one says, "sure,
that's easy," let alone "that's me". Although logic dictates that those
responsible for configuring, installing, and maintaining basic application
software on a server are also responsible for tracking updates and making
upgrades, it unfortunately more often than not falls to those dependent on
such services to raise a stink when those services are inadequately
provided.
Roy Tennant