Mozilla goes to alpha

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jan 27 09:46:26 EST 2000

Mozilla released their Milestone 13 version last night.  If the
terminology means anything, they're calling this their Alpha release and
suggesting that testers will find it ready for everyday use.  That
probably means the M14 release will come in the first or second week of
March; the mozilla newsgroups report that Netscape is planning to build
the first Communicator 5 alpha around M14.

My confidence that Mozilla's labor will ever give birth to a real browser
waxes and wanes; I've played with this program long enough that I'm ready
for it to be ready, and it's hard to stay patient with the alpha-quality
flakiness.  It looks like the underlying technology is firming up; the
question for me is whether A) the mozilla folks are really going to nail
the user interface or B) Netscape can be trusted to do that without just
making it a funnel to pull people toward their e-commerce operations,
which is how I increasingly see Communicator 4.

Thomas ("Still no sign of Opera 4.0b, though") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu