[WEB4LIB] Mac vs. PC and Linux

Dennis Moser dennism at library.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 18 11:04:47 EST 2000

One of the great things about using Linux is that you can run AppleTalk and
Samba to provide file-sharing and communication between the Macs and
PCs...if you're running Linux on a Mac (see my earlier post), the AppleTalk
application called "netatalk" is available as part of the basic install. I
don't know if it has been included in the standard Red Hat distribution.
Last time I was looking, it was something you had to get and install on your
own.

The Yellow Dog version has netatalk "built-in" so it is simply a matter of
choosing to intall it along with all of the other services. A good Linux
SysAdmin shouldn't have any great difficulty install netatalk on a PC-based
Linux box; a newbie Linux user can set it up on a Mac-based Linux box.