[WEB4LIB] RE: Mac resurgence

Dennis Moser dennism at library.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 18 09:55:54 EST 2000

WARNING: Slight drift of topic!

Darryl,

Actually...you CAN format the drive and you most certainly CAN load Red Hat
on the iMac. There is a far too much misinformation floating around about
what you "can" or "can't" do on any Mac.

For the curious:

<A HREF="www.linuxppc.org">www.linuxppc.org</A>
<A HREF="www.linuxppc.com">www.linuxppc.com</A>
<A HREF="www.yellowdoglinux.com">www.yellowdoglinux.com</A>

...both of these distributions, LinuxPPC and Yellow Dog Linux, use the Red
Hat distribution. Yellow Dog was specifically ported to work with the
G3-series Macs and will install on the "floppy-less" (Aw, come on, be
honest! When did you last actually USE a floppy?) iMac with tremendous
success.

I use Yellow Dog on my Mac PPC 8500, PPC7200, and have been threatening to
use it on my wife's iMac. In fact, on the 8500, I use "webmin" to administer
the Linux instance and it thinks that it's Red Hat 6.1 on a Pentium 200.

Dennis Moser, MILS, Web Librarian
John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center
Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library
1133 M. D. Anderson Blvd, Houston, TX 77030-2809
dennism at library.tmc.edu