Fortres, Winselect, and Norton LiveUpdate

spober at manhattan.edu spober at manhattan.edu
Sun Jan 16 14:42:32 EST 2000

Our campus has licensed Norton AntiVirus, which comes with a utility
called LiveUpdate that can be scheduled to update the virus definitions
at specific intervals.

We use both Fortres 101 and Winselect Kiosk on our public computers to
keep those mischevious students from reformatting the hard disk or
combination of the two may be preventing LiveUpdate from running.

I've tried to give all of the Norton AntiVirus and LiveUpdate exe files
unlimited file access in the Fortres privileged applications box, and
similarly, I've tried listing the exe's in Winselect with "No
Restrictions" as to file opening and file saving.  Then I tried setting
LiveUpdate to run in background and watched the computer.

When the scheduled time came, I saw some disk access but no screen
display - which may be normal for LiveUpdate (I've never used it as
a scheduled application before).  However, when I then turned off
Fortres and Winselect and looked in Norton Antivirus, the virus
definition date had not changed.  I then tried to run LiveUpdate from
the normal user interface and it did successfully download an update,
which indicates to me that the prior disk activity did not actually
update the virus definitions.

So, does anyone know the proper way to get this to run with our security
software?  I would prefer not to have to list ever Norton A-V exe file
in
the security exceptions, since there are many so many of them. Aside
from the bloating of the exceptions list, it is probably not necessary
to list every exe file.  (And listing them as exceptions didn't seem
to work, anyhow.)

When the automatic scheduled LiveUpdate runs, is there normally any
screen display that confirms it's working?

--

Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
spober at manhattan.edu