[WEB4LIB] keyword searchable PDF files

Wilson, Alan (DPL) Alan.Wilson at aph.gov.au
Thu Jan 13 17:13:40 EST 2000

Barbara

It does not seem to be commonly known that PDF files come in three different
varieties: Normal, Image, and Image + Hidden Text. Only with the last of
these is the text accessible, i.e. searchable and able to be highlighted,
cut and pasted.

Files of each type have the same .pdf file extension and look the same when
displayed, so it is not easy to tell them apart. The only way I know of to
see if a PDF file is in Image + Hidden Text format is to try to highlight
the text using the Text Select Tool when viewing the file in Acrobat Reader.
If you cannot do this, then the text is not searchable.

Alan Wilson
Director, Information Resources Management
Department of the Parliamentary Library
Parliament House, Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia
Phone: (02) 6277 2570  Fax: (02) 6277 2622
Email: Alan.Wilson at aph.gov.au