keyword searchable PDF files

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Thu Jan 13 09:08:18 EST 2000

My Dept. is looking into scanning tables of contents, which are then
reformatted to comply with MARC tag 505 (we are an Innopac library). I
have been dismayed at the amount of labor this entails - especially when
toc's are printed all in caps, or have some unusual numbering system. I
believe the Library of Congress did a study a few years back with selected
business titles. They attached a PDF file of the table of contents, and
added a clickable note in the 505 field Table of contents - or something
to that effect. My question is: Is there a way to make scanned PDF files
keyword searchable?

Thanks,

Barbara Stewart
Latin American Cataloger