[WEB4LIB] Re: Filtered by WebSENSE (was: Staff Web Sites)

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Jan 12 12:00:24 EST 2000

I'm convinced from the repeated reports of sites being blocked for no
apparent reason that despite the claims of many filter companies, they don't
actually review the sites that their robots discover roaming the web.  This
type of review requires a human to actually visit and evaluate a site and
that takes time which equals money - I don't think they want to spend the
money to do this.  The size of the web is overwhelming these products and I
would not at all be surprised to discover that many of the products continue
to rely on keyword blocking or algorithms that rely on keywords to determine
which sites are blocked.  Even the manufacturers admit as such:

"'Marc Kanter, vice president of marketing for Cybersitter, said that with
more than a billion Web pages, it's impossible to keep up with the number of
Web sites being added daily."

From:
http://www.apbnews.com/newscenter/internetcrime/1999/12/13/filter1213_01.html

If anyone else can explain otherwise why this might occur as often as it
does, I would appreciate hearing it.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library